Monday, March 15, 2010

A New Project... for a Good Reason!

I've been at the point in my life where I just knew something big was about to happen. I didnt know what it was, but I knew it was coming.

I've always known that most of the foods we eat are just terrible for our health. I've known that the meat is unclean, the fruits and veggies are tainted with pesticides and harmful chemicals. But it wasn't until a few days ago that I made the decision to do something about it for my family. I watched the documentary, Food Inc., and it really opened my eyes. Knowing the food is bad is not as real as seeing and seeing the way you need to go from there.

I havent bought meat in a long time as it is. With the exception when Bryan was home on leave. I just dont like meat. Every once in a while I want a good steak, but other than that, it doesnt appetize me at all. Trust me. I am in no way one of those people who are all about animal rights and what-not. I believe that God put certain animals on this Earth the provide food for His children. But His children have ruined that source for the most part, and until I can find wholesome, clean meat... We just wont use it. Period. No chicken nuggets, no burgers, no sloppy joes... its just not worth putting the chemicals into our bodies!

The things that we do eat, I will be buying as much Organic as I possibly can. For certain; milk, eggs, bread, cheese, fruits and veggies. I know that this will be quite a change from our normal, junk food life. But it is neccesary! This is a commitment to the health of my familiy, mostly Layla as she is the most vulnerable to the garbage in what she eats.

This blog is changing its direction. It will serve as a journal to track my progress on all things organic and green. I will also do my best to help you do the same with fun, easy ways to make your life more healthy. Anything new that I learn, I will share here. Certainly, my blgo will be flooded with information that I find!!

Im Excited!!! Are you? Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. I would be happy to help you find the answer, and learn for myself along the way. I will still be posting family life things and happenings at Prettylittlepearl, so stick around for that too.

Here are some links to the books Ive been reading to help you see what I now see...

Do One Green Thing - A great book with easy , clean instructions on what to buy and what not to buy when it comes to green living. I carry this book in my purse!

The Omnivore's Dilemma - In depth research on where our food comes from.

I'm sure there will be more books... but these are what Im working on at the moment.

Thanks for sticking around. I hope this blog will help us all live greener, healthier lives. If not for ourselves, for our children!

-Gretchen

1 comment:

RoxyChic0529 said...

i look forward to your new and improved green blog! can't wait to see what you have in store for your readers! Good luck! :)